Sponsors are responsible for:
- Attending your State agency’s training
- Locating and recruit eligible sites
- Hiring, training, and supervising staff and volunteers
- Arranging for meals to be prepared or delivered
- Monitoring your sites
- Preparing claims for reimbursement
- Ensuring that your Summer Food project and sites are sustainable through community partnerships, fundraising, and volunteer recruitment.
Check out the USDA’s Summer Meal Toolkit for information on administering programs, raising awareness, increasing participation, and serving meals. The Administrative Guide has all the information for sponsors about running a summer meal program.
The Alliance for a Healthier Generation’s website has resources for finding and buying smart snacks for afterschool programs.
The Food Research & Action Center has a program implementation calendar and guide.
Looking to expand programs? Use this map to find areas eligible to serve free meals.